Want to work “Together” with Prairie AquaTech for the good of aquaculture? The following positions are now open –
Position 1: Manager of Microbial Seed Train Research and Development
Position 2: Technician of Microbial Seed Train
POSITION 1 detail: Manager of Microbial Seed Train Research and Development
Prairie AquaTech is a technology company based in Brookings, South Dakota that is improving animal health and nutrition by providing high quality feed ingredients and the solutions they enable. Using patented technologies licensed on a worldwide, exclusive basis from South Dakota State University and developed internally, the Company is upgrading plant-based commodities, such as soybean meal and distillers grain, to sustainable, high quality ingredients and their applications for use in aquaculture and other specialty animal feeds. Our company is currently experiencing rapid growth and we are seeking an experienced Manager for a Manager of Fermentation and Process Research & Development to join our team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work in collaboration with Prairie AquaTech Manufacturing / Operations to optimize the unit operations that are believed to be critical to product quality and process efficiency at commercial scale.
- This role will have primary responsibility for optimization of the company’s technology platform for its Microbial Seed Train and ensure that new technologies can be transferred seamlessly and efficiently at commercial plant scale to the Manufacturing / Operations team.
- Collaborate with Prairie AquaTech R&D to discover and optimize microbial sub-processes that will play a vital role in the production of the company’s emerging product portfolio, including the creation of new, microbially-enhanced products requiring completion of domestic and global regulatory dossiers.
- Lead R&D collaborations with external collaborators for the discovery and development of new microbial process/product technologies that will enable transformative operations for product and co-products manufacture to be effectively integrated into commercial scale facilities.
- Lead the effort to maintain and update the company’s bench and pilot-scale microbiological R&D facility to ensure the timely delivery of new product prototypes which will be needed to support a robust product pipeline for new business development.
- Advanced degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Chemistry, Ph.D. preferred
- 3-5 years related experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated capabilities to serve as an impactful presenter to internal and external facing audiences on behalf of the company
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite products
- Strong Data Science skills and proficiency in relevant statistical toolboxes for analysis, interpretation and presentation of results to both technical and cross functional audiences
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, including those requiring multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong organizational skills; managerial experience with small teams is desired, but not required
- Ability to be flexible and take on challenges in a fast-paced dynamic environment
Job Location: Successful candidate will work from both Volga and Brookings, SD locations; Prairie AquaTech, 310 Caspian Avenue, Volga, SD 57071
Compensation: Annual Base Salary, $70,000; Annual, Performance-Based Bonus, $5,000
Signing Bonus to defray relocation costs $1,000
Qualified candidates, please submit cover letter and resume to:
POSITION 2 detail: Seed Train Technician
Prairie AquaTech is seeking an enthusiastic, team-oriented full-time Seed Train Technician in a growing, fast-paced, product development-focused environment. Prairie AquaTech is an animal health and nutrition company focused on upgrading plant-based meals via fermentation into a high-quality protein for use as feed. This position offers the employee a unique opportunity to operate in both a laboratory and plant environment. This position works on a revolving 12-hour schedule, during night shifts.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Prepare sterile seed cultures for production fermentation, with culture sizes ranging from lab to production scale as per the Standard Operating Procedures
- Collect, prepare, process and analyze samples and give recommendations as per production requirements in a timely manner
- Ability to follow protocols with high precision and accuracy; with guidance, ability to generate basic reports of process performance
- and quality
- Evaluate culture purity, cell growth, and cell quality in production seed train and main fermentation
- Log samples and record results in spreadsheets
- Monitor and operate equipment in accordance with operational instructions and use of a distributed control system
- Perform maintenance, inspection, cleaning of equipment in accordance with operational instructions
- Observe gauges, dials, or other indicators to ensure equipment is working properly
- Communicate effectively with multiple departments to facilitate processes
- Awareness of when to involve senior staff in more complex problems
- Report when maintenance or repairs are necessary
- Participate in general lab housekeeping
- Maintain accurate inventory records
- Identify areas for continuous improvement as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Package product per production orders after Quality Control release
- Pack product on pallets and secure for shipping
- Load product on carrier trailers and process shipping documents
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s in science-related field or an associate degree/diploma in a science or engineering field with relevant experience
Relevant job experience:
- Experience and/or coursework in microbiology and aseptic technique preferred
- Experience with working in shifts during nights preferred
- Experience with plant operations equipment is a plus
- Experience with microscopy, spectroscopy, and assay development is a plus
- Experience with enzyme assays is a plus
- Experience with statistical method analysis is a plus
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Ability to multitask, and maintain focus and quality of each task
- Strong technical and mechanical troubleshooting abilities preferred
- Ability to follow company Standard Operating Procedures
- Ability to work independently and with excellent time management
- Ability to follow protocols with high precision and accuracy
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic math skills.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of basic computer skills
- Keen attention to details with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Quick and effective diagnosis and troubleshooting skills
- Basic understanding of laboratory safety
Non-Technical skills and abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to complete tasks within specified timelines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- This position includes responsibilities in a laboratory and production environment.
- Employees will work near moving mechanical parts and work directly with steam and chemical solutions.
- Employees may experience hot, cold, humid, odorous, and wet conditions.
- Employees must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Respect a culture of safety first for you and your peers through strict adherence to health and safety procedures and protocols
- Understands hazardous material and safety procedures and how to find and use SDS information
- Use personal protective equipment- head protection, eye protection, and steel-toed footwear in the plant, and hearing protection for loud environments
- Competitive salary based upon education and experience
- Paid time off
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
Job Location: Prairie AquaTech, 310 Caspian Avenue, Volga, SD 57071
Qualified candidates, please email resume and cover letter to:
Mohit Bibra (Manager, Fermentation and Process, R&D)