Want to work “Together” with Prairie AquaTech for the good of aquaculture?
The following positions are now available at Prairie AquaTech:
1. Seed Train Technician
2. Senior Production Manager
• POSITION 1: SEED TRAIN TECHNICIAN
Prairie AquaTech is seeking a full-time Seed Train Technician in a growing, fast-paced, product development-focused environment. Prairie AquaTech is an animal health and nutrition company focused on upgrading plant-based meals via fermentation into a high-quality protein for use in food animal diets. This position offers the employee the unique opportunity to operate in both a laboratory and plant environment. This position works on a revolving 12-hour schedule, which includes both day and night shifts.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Meticulously execute Standard Operating Procedures for aseptically preparing sterile seed cultures for production fermentation, with culture sizes ranging from lab to production scale
- Evaluate culture purity, cell growth, and cell quality in production seed train and main fermentation
- Monitor and operate equipment in accordance with operational instructions and use of a distributed control system
- Perform maintenance, inspection, cleaning of equipment in accordance with operational instructions
- Observe gauges, dials, or other indicators to ensure equipment is working properly
- Communicate with multiple departments to facilitate processes
- Properly handle the chain of custody for samples and results
- Awareness of when to involve senior staff in more complex problems
- Report when maintenance or repairs are necessary
- Respect a culture of safety first for you and your peers through strict adherence to health and safety procedures and protocols
- BS in science-related field or associate degree/diploma in a science or engineering field
- Ability to multitask, and maintain focus and quality of each task
- Experience and/or coursework in microbiology and aseptic technique preferred
- Strong technical and mechanical troubleshooting abilities preferred
- Experience with plant operations equipment is a plus
- Experience with microscopy, spectroscopy, and assay development is a plus
- Ability to follow company Standard Operating Procedures
- Ability to work independently and with excellent time management
- Ability to follow protocols with high precision and accuracy
- Keen attention to detail with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Quick and effective diagnosis and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic understanding of laboratory safety
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- This position includes responsibilities in a laboratory and production environment. Employees will work near moving mechanical parts and work directly with steam and chemical solutions. Employees are required to wear head protection, eye protection, and steel-toed footwear in the plant, and may experience loud environments requiring hearing protection. Employees may experience hot, cold, humid, odorous, and wet conditions. Employees must be able to lift 60 pounds safely without assistance.
Job Location: Prairie AquaTech
310 Caspian Avenue
Volga, SD 57071
Qualified candidates, please email resume and cover letter to:
Maria Moutsoglou (Manager, Microbial Seed Train R&D)
• POSITION 2: SENIOR PRODUCTION MANAGER
The Senior Production Manager reports the General Manager and is primarily responsible for leading production at the 30,000 ton per year protein ingredient manufacturing facility in Volga, SD. This role involves directing all aspects of production, operations, machinery maintenance, safety, efficiency, operational conformance, product quality via process control, and continuous improvement. We are looking for a process-oriented leader who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible and Accountable for all Production Operations
- Assure we have the right people in the right places doing the right things
- Collaborate cross-functionally, delegate appropriately
- Responsible for employee training to be accountable for their duties and review performance
- Responsible to work with scheduling to shift resources around in order to meet the needs of the schedule
- Responsible to hire/fire people based on their values and ability to do their job
- Monitor and review the performance of staff and organize plans for improvement
- Create standard work and work standards
- Deliver high-quality products on time and on budget
- Report key metrics and enter them on a to be designed scorecard for alignment with business objectives.
- Supervise and monitor the execution of all production activities. Ensure the highest quality of handling, processing, and storage of final products and raw materials.
- Inspect, analyze and recommend ways of improving quality and efficiency in production activities.
- Manage production schedules, work instructions, and production inventories.
- Able to adhere to rigorous Feed / Food Safety, Quality and Sanitation requirements…
- Support compliance with all Company policies, as well as all Federal, State and Local OSHA regulations.
- Manage month-end inventory and cycle counts to ensure physical inventories reconcile.
- Participate in planning personnel safety and plant protection activities.
- Support maintenance by assessing equipment operating reliability and perform routine repairs, adjustments, and malfunction troubleshooting.
- Be an active member of meetings and leadership training.
Skill, Competency, and Experience Requirements:
- B.S. in Chemical, Biochemical or Food Engineering, advanced training in Engineering or Business Administration a plus
- 10 years of experience in a leadership role in a biological-based manufacturing environment (Fermentation, Enzyme Bioprocesing, Ingredients and/or Feed/Food Products)
- Lean Six Sigma experience, Black Belt Certification a plus
- Experience in a Food facility a plus
- Computer skills, ERP Software, Microsoft Office
- Must be a data-driven decision maker
- Knowledge of quality systems and standards
- Be a team builder
- Must have strong communication skills and demonstrate high ethical standards and professional behavior
- Be a good coach and mentor and motivate others to want to be the best
- Highly organized, process-oriented and driven to excel at both individual and team accountability to meet business expectations for manufacturing operations
- Big picture thinker, savvy to the current and emerging competitive landscape for manufacturing technologies
- Ability to multitask
- Demonstrates innovative thinking
- Delegates tasks to assure we accomplish our goals on time
To Apply, submit cover letter and resume to Sue Lancaster: firstname.lastname@example.org